Multiple Servers on one DB

Macca

Hi All,

I am just curious about something. We are currently hitting our user limit on our production database and this is crippling our batch jobs that run throughout the day. Is it possible to have two servers running against a single database so that we can have, say, 140 user limit on the live service and an extra 10 user limit on an IS service? We can then let out batch work share the 10 IS connections and let the users fight over the other 140!

TIA,

Mac.

cecsno

Batch users don't count against you license user count so just increase -N.

Macca said:
Hi All,

I am just curious about something. We are currently hitting our user limit on our production database and this is crippling our batch jobs that run throughout the day. Is it possible to have two servers running against a single database so that we can have, say, 140 user limit on the live service and an extra 10 user limit on an IS service? We can then let out batch work share the 10 IS connections and let the users fight over the other 140!

TIA,

Mac.

jamesmc

Hi Cecsno,

We need a way to allow batch connections without allowing more users into the database, if we just increase -N then our users will just keep using multiple sessions until all of the available connections are taken and there are no spare again for our batch work.

I know it would be simpler if we didnt allow our users to have multiple sessions but its really hard to enforce that policy.

James.

cecsno

Hi,

If you application does not handle it you can start a secondary login broker, this will be a network protocol server and will not access the database directly through shared memory so there will be a performance hit. Look at the -m3 start up parameter. This is for starting up for remote clients, but local clients can run throught it.

You may also look at reworking you login program and look at the VST's _license table to manage users.

I'm assuming you are v8 or above.

jamesmc said:
Hi Cecsno,

We need a way to allow batch connections without allowing more users into the database, if we just increase -N then our users will just keep using multiple sessions until all of the available connections are taken and there are no spare again for our batch work.

I know it would be simpler if we didnt allow our users to have multiple sessions but its really hard to enforce that policy.

James.