Linked server with ms sql 2008 on windows server 2008 r2(64-bit)

jonbel16

This question might have been asked before, i have also gone onto the progress knowledge base regarding this and from what im aware i should be able to do thos. The end result of what im tryin to do is to create a linked server of some sort. Ive installed open edge 10.2b (progress have stated that this version is compatible with 64 and 32 bit OS) and have tested the dsn connection from the sysWOW64 folder and all works fine. Testing the normal one found in administrator tools comes back with a error, driver could not be found please reinstall. Architecture mismatch between the Driver.
When i try add it as a linked server i get the error Cannot intialize the data source object etc etc. Microsoft SQL Server, error 7303

jonbel16

The knowledge base states that a possible solution would be to use open edge 10.2xx or higher, which is what im currently using

Stefan

You must use the 64-bit version of 10.2B. The 32-bit version can be installed on 64-bit machine but does not a 64-bit installation make.

Stefan

A PANS just popped up with a work-around to install 64-bit ODBC drivers when you already have a 32-bit installation.

have tested the dsn connection from the sysWOW64 folder and all works fine. Testing the normal one found in administrator tools comes back with a error, driver could not be found please reinstall. Architecture mismatch between the Driver.
"Architecture mismatch" means one program in the chain of ODBC related programs communicating with another is 32 bit and an adjoining one in the chain is 64 bit. Which are the programs that can't talk and what to do about this is situation specific. For example, I got this when using Visual Studio's Server Explorer and a 64 bit Progress 11.6 ODBC driver. Visual Studio's IDE and therefore their Server Explorer are 32 bit. So this didn't work until I connected the Server Explorer to a 32 bit Progress 11.6 ODBC driver. Note, however, that the 32 bit Progress ODBC driver could talk to the 64 bit Progress server. So it is only some programs in the chain of ODBC related programs that can be the problem. ;-)