License Profitability: WebSpeed X SQL-92.

rrojo7229

Hi,

Can Anyone tell me whether which metodology is more profitable in term of license value?

We have 30 branches and we need develop a Intranet accessing Progress for every branch but the cost for WebSpeed License is making this project as unprofitable. So, anyone knows whether using ODBC database servers for every branch and develop a Intranet using PHP is more profitable?

If anyone knows or have had that kind of experience could you send your thoughts here.

Thanks indeed,
Kind regards,
Ricardo Olguin

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Sounds like a use case for browser clients, but you really need to provide more details in terms of number of users, how clustered, usage levels, type of usage, and what you are figuring into your expenses before one can really offer specific suggestions.

rrojo7229

Hi Tamhas,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, we do need a browser Client to access Progress Database and the first solution was WebSpeed but the value for that Tool for 25 users is 6000 euros per branch so whether we put into all ours branches the figures will reach the value 180000 euros.

About:
- how clustered: I am not sure, but I do not hink so.
- Usage levels, Type of usage: the first application will be for "Stock Consults" where the user will type the Product code and the Browser will bring the Stock in real time for any branch, simply that.

So, do you think Solution 2: SQL-92 ODBC Server Driver could be more profitable in value and development time?

Kind Regards,
Ricardo Olguin

We need for every branch around 25 users

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
So, you have 30 branches with 25 users each? And are these users all basically people who sit down with a terminal in front of them all day? What Progress version? Are the sites connected? I.e., are they basically 30 independent sites with no relationship or are all sites querying a common set of data?

rrojo7229

So, you have 30 branches with 25 users each? And are these users all basically people who sit down with a terminal in front of them all day? What Progress version? Are the sites connected? I.e., are they basically 30 independent sites with no relationship or are all sites querying a common set of data?

Hi Tamhas,

Sorry, now I got it that what do you mean:

- Yes, each branch has around 25 users;
- Yes, all users are basically people, user end which managers the warehouse;
- yes, the sites are connected between them, but each branch has their own Progress database.
- The first Page will ask just 2 things: What branch and Product Code. So that way the user from every branch will be able to see Stock from any brach in "real time";
- Progress 9.1E - Linux Redhat 3.

Thanks,
Kind regards,
Ricardo Olguin

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
So, at 9.1E you are concurrent user pricing, not named user or registered client. So, does this mean you have 25 people per branch or 25 simultaneous users per branch?

FWIW, I would not consider going with SQL clients without going to current Progress. Performance is major difference. Note too that in 9.x, SQL clients are also user based, but in 10.x the SQL client is free.

rrojo7229

So, at 9.1E you are concurrent user pricing, not named user or registered client. So, does this mean you have 25 people per branch or 25 simultaneous users per branch?

FWIW, I would not consider going with SQL clients without going to current Progress. Performance is major difference. Note too that in 9.x, SQL clients are also user based, but in 10.x the SQL client is free.

Hi Tamhas,

Yes, we do have 25 people per branch not 25 simultaneous users.

So, you mean make the upgrade first to 10.1B before try SQL Client? But to access the Progress Database using PHP I need just SQL Client, nothing more?

Thanks,
Kind Regards,
Ricardo Olguin

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
So, how many simultaneous users?

Is the pricing you are looking at for 5 Webspeed agents, i.e., what would be $5400 USD?

Note that in 10.x AppServer and Webspeed are mushed together in one product and are sold by user pricing. So, in US prices at $80/user for named user, that would be $2000 per branch. If there were 25 people using 12 devices, then you could go registered client for only $960 per branch.

The other thing I would consider is that 30 branches, each with their own database, but with information flow between databases sounds like an absolute natural for Sonic. Sonic is often implemented using Appserver where your pricing would be as above, but Greg Higgins of PEG fame has been talking lately about implementing browser clients direct to Sonic without AppServer.

Of course, depending on the path you pick, development costs could easily swamp any difference in initial license costs. Conversely, the added capabilities of something like Sonic might make a difference in the business which would dwarf the license costs.

Yes, it is possible to use nothing but SQL client ... but I wouldn't say that would be my first choice. After all, if you aren't using ABL, why use Progress at all? If everything is PHP and SQL, why not PostgeSQL or some such and really cut down your license costs? But, like I say, not a direction I would go.

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
I believe the minimum WTA (or aplication server enterprise licenses) you can buy is 5. So why buying 25 if you can deal it with 5. If you make a well written webapplication you can handle between 5-10 requests per seconds per agent easily. With only 25 people you have more then enough webspeed agents if you buy 5.

So price would turn out to be much less then the $6000 per branch.

Casper.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
In the V9 price list (USD), a 5 agent Webspeed Transaction Server is $5400 and 25 is $10000. AppServer is $140/user, AppServer Plus $210/user, both 5 user minimum.

In OE10, Webspeed disappears as a separate product and is bundled with AppServer and thus becomes user based, not agent based (except for the access agent based pricing, which wouldn't apply here because it sounds like these are people who are logging in and using the system more than 2 hours a week). Thus, it is AppServer Basic at $80/user and AppServer Enterprise at $110/user, but user based, so 25 would be needed for named user, but fewer if these were people walking around a shop floor accessing a number of terminals.

In any case, it sounds a lot less. 6000 euro is real close to $10,000 USD, so you could be right that this was based on 25 agents ... which is overkill.

rrojo7229

Hi

Ok, Yeah, the things are more clear now to me. Thanks for the BrainStorm, it was very handly.

Thanks indeed for your help Tamhas and Casper.

Kind Regards,
Ricardo Olguin

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
<ShamelessPlug>
And, if you need an architecture consultant ... remember where you heard it!
</ShamelessPlug>