Issue with Converting Database

Hi Sir Tom,

Procopy is different because it knows where all the pieces of the db reside, makes sure that a complete and consistent copy is made and then takes care of any pathing issues so that the newly copied database doesn't think that it belongs on some other path.

OS level copies may miss parts of the database (extents can be stored in many folders and it isn't always obvious where they are) and os copies may screw up the timestamps on extents. An OS copy will also result in a database that is usually in the wrong path. All of this can be fixed by using various prostrct options but it is much better to not have to go through that.

Let us assume that your share is X: and that is is mounted on both the old and new servers as X: Your database is called dbName and on the old server it is in C:\db. You would like an OE10 database in C:\db

On the old server:

1) cd /d C:\db
2) proutil dbName -C truncate bi
3) procopy dbName X:\dbName
4) cd /d X:
5) proutil dbName -C truncate bi # this probably isn't necessary -- but do it just for kicks

On the new server:

6) cd /d X:
7) proutil dbName -C conv910
8) procopy dbName c:\db\dbName

You may now eliminate the X: share and its contents. Or keep it around for future use if you are going to do more of this kind of thing.

This thread can be open? I followed your step but during the conversion process the error appear "Cannot Find or open file .lk" did I miss something on your steps ?

I did your step during downtime of database - my database conversion is from 9.1C to 11.4

our server are from Windows 2000 Server to Windows 2008 R2 Server

Last edited:
Hi Sir Cringer,

The first error is okay I forgot to add full access on the share folder, but after the added full access I've try again to the conversion now this error appear.

Please see image attached.

Thanks,

Attachments

• error2.jpg
    error2.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 3

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
You are obviously following some completely different process than that discussed in the original 3 year old thread.

Unsurprisingly your errors are unrelated to anything in that thread and probably related to whatever it is you are really doing.

I suggest that you start a new thread and clearly show every step that you are taking and all of the results.

FWIW I also strongly suggest that you find a way to do this that does not involve using the 91_utils. Only madness lies down that path.