Installing OpenEdge 10.2A ODBC Driver in a 64bit OS

myxzplick

Wazap?:cool:

I've been reading several threads here to find some similiar to what I've been through, but I couldn't find anything. So, I apoligize if I'm inserting an repeated thread, but here it goes:

I have a 10.2A database installed in a 2003 Server, which works just fine. But I need to get access through ODBC from another server (IIS) which is 64bit. I've installed the Network Client and the OpenEdge driver appears only in the 32bit version of ODBC Administrator (and don't shows up in the 64), also when I tried to create a system DSN on the 32bit ODBC, it shows the following messages:

"Mircosoft ODBC Administrator

The setup routines for the Progress OpenEdge 10.2A Driver ODBC driver could not be loaded due to system error code 193."

I clicked "ok" and then:

"Driver's ConfigDSN, ConfigDriver, or ConfigTranslator failed

Errors found:

Could not load the setup or translator library"

I tried to find info about the 64bit version of OpenEdge ODBC, and realized that in the beginning of the year PROGRESS wasn't ready to create the ODBC driver for 64bit, so I conctacted them on the phone and the technician informed that the driver for 10.2A(32bit) has the feature to run on 64bit systems. I kinda doubt it...

Also I tried to re-install all the features for client networking using the Custom installation, but the option for 64 bit doesn't appear.

I would be thankful if you help me to find a way out of this..
Regards,

MyxzPlick

"The truth is out there." But we're locked in here.:D

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
you must configure the driver using
%WINDIR%\SysWow64\odbcad32.exe

I have no problem running te 32 bit driver on 64 bit windows 2008.

Casper.

myxzplick

Casper, thanks for your reply.

But as I mentioned, the driver for OpenEdge doesn't show up on the 64Bit OBDC Administrator.

Regards,

LarryD

Did you try looking in Progress Kbase for the error?

Kbase Solution P141118
Code:
Title: "System Error 193 when configuring the 10.2A ODBC driver on Windows 64-bit"

Created: 02/10/2009     Last Modified: 02/12/2009           Status: Unverified

[B]Symptoms:  [/B]
System Error 193 when configuring the 10.2A ODBC driver on Windows 64-bit
 The setup routines for Progress OpenEdge 10.2A driver ODBC driver could not be loaded due to system error 193
 Could not load the setup or translator library
 The 10.2A ODBC driver does not appear in the 32-bit version of the ODBC Administrator tool
 The ODBC driver is listed in the 64-bit Data Source Administrator
 The ODBC driver registrey keys are created in:
   HKLM\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI
   HKLM\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI\ODBC Drivers                 

[B]Facts:  [/B]
OpenEdge 10.2A
 Windows
 x86_64 (AMD64/EMT64)

[B]Cause:  [/B]
Bug# OE00180895

[B]Fixes:  [/B]
As a workaround follow the steps below in order to create the registry keys.

1- Create a .REG file, and copy the lines below:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI\ODBC Drivers]
"Progress OpenEdge 10.2A driver"="Installed"
 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI\Progress OpenEdge 10.2A Driver]
"Driver"="[B][DLC][/B]\\bin\\pgoe1023.dll"
"Setup"="[B][DLC][/B]\\bin\\pgoe1023.dll"
"DriverODBCVer"="3.50"
"APILevel"="1"
"ConnectFunctions"="YYN"
"CPTimeout"="60"
"FileUsage"="0"
"SQLLevel"="0"
"UsageCount"="1"

Note: DLC should refer to the 10.2A installation directory. For example: C:\\progress\\openedge

2- Save the file, and double-click on it in order to add the keys in the registry.

3- Open the 32-bit ODBC Data Source Administrator:
        %WINDIR%\SysWow64\odbcad32.exe

Make sure there is a valid backup of the registry before modifying it.

[B]Notes:  [/B]
References to Written Documentation:

Progress Solution:

[URL="http://progress.atgnow.com/esprogress/documentDisplay.do?clusterName=CombinedCluster&preview=1&groupId=2&page=https://progress.atgnow.com/esprogress/docs/Solutions/Progress/ESERVER_P141118.xhtml&docType=1006&resultType=5002&docProp=$solution_id&docPropValue=p112015"]P112015, "The ODBC Driver will not install on Windows 64 bit"[/URL]

Casper

Staff member
But as I mentioned, the driver for OpenEdge doesn't show up on the 64Bit OBDC Administrator.

FYI:
On 64 bit windows the following odbc adminstrator tools are available
  • The 32-bit version of the Odbcad32.exe file is located in the %systemdrive%\Windows\SysWoW64 folder.
  • The 64-bit version of the Odbcad32.exe file is located in the %systemdrive%\Windows\System32 folder.
So the 32 bit odbc administrator tool resides in syswow64.

I can't test it however, I have windows2008 64 bit and not windows 2003 64 bit.

Sorry I can't help you further.

Casper.

netrista

If you have a 32bit-only driver, it makes sense that it would run on 64bit Windows but only appear in the 32bit Windows ODBC Data Sources Administrator. I would expect only 32bit and utilities and applications such as this Administrator to be able to bind to it. The only way to ensure full compatibility between a 64bit application and a data access driver or provider is to obtain a 64bit version. OpenLink Software (www.openlinksw.com) has some 64bit drivers that could help fill the gap, if you're current vendor does not have one ready to hand.

Best regards,
Netrista

Casper

Staff member
FWIW, Progress supposedly has also a 64 bit driver for there 64 bit windows release. This driver is supposedly true 64 bit. Most Progress 64 bit driver still use 32 bit libraries.
But then again I didn't actually met many good business reasons for the need of a 64 bit driver so far. Most times it just seems the higher number which is the most important to people.
It might be that open link drivers can fill that gap.
It would be an interesting licensemodel however if you would really need a 64 bit driver to connect to a progress application. I wonder how many named clients it would serve :)

Casper.