Import requires data source other...

longhair

I think this is just a Progress quirk - but want to see if anyone has any suggestions.

I'm receiving this error message on a program that only pulls data from a file, updates or creates some records in a table and writes out log messages to another file.
** IMPORT requires a data source other than the screen. (1388)
The input statement is used as well as the import statement - no user intervention.
Other programs that are similar do not throw this error.
I think that it is Progress getting a little lost because of the number of import statements and where they are located within loops.
Has anyone seen this before?

Regards,
longhair

jongpau

Hi Longhair,

I have only ever experienced this when there indeed was something wrong in my code.

From what I remember this happend when:
- I had opened my input using a stream and forgotten to use the stream with the import statement
- Closed the input source and then did a subsequent import

Both the above cases make Progress attempt the import from the "screen buffer", which is not allowed and which makes Progress throw the error you mention.

HTH

Paul

doreynie

If you have to read/write in different files at the same time, you must use the 'stream' equivalent of the I/O operations.

So, not output to value("...").

output close.

But : output stream s1 to value(" ... ").

output stream close.

"Input", in the same way. You can use up to 8 streams together in one program (session).