Hpux Progress 10.1C Load Problems

enoon

On a Hpux with progress 10.1C I did a "backup" i mean dump/load. But when I loaded the data I saw that strings that were on separate lines "united" with the escape character ~ got lost, and the whole string is in the same line.
Problem is the this is no ordinary text, it is source code.
On the disk, the string looks perfectly but when loaded in the db, it gets lost and the string is in a single line.
Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance.

RealHeavyDude

• Did you ASCII or binary dump & load the database?
  • In case you did ASCII dump & load the database ( via data administration and/or bulk loader ), did the dump and load sessions have the same code page settings?
  • Do the source target database have the same code page?
I am guessing a code page issue.

Regards, RealHeavyDude.

enoon

Nope, unfortunately not.
It is an ASCII dump/load, same code page, same database, in fact it was used as a backup (dump/load).
It seems as if Load is doing the same process as the compiler (preprocessor). It concatenates strings from the file as if it would been split by the dump.
So unfortunately if your string has ~ it will see as if "There is a next line for this string in the dump file" and adds it and removes the ~ character.
Also the OS does not matter, since we tested it on windows and got the same result.

RealHeavyDude

AFAIK, the ~ sign is the continuation sign if a source code line is split across lines in the procedure editor. As you describe it, obviously, the load has a problem with this special character.

If I were you I would try to binary dump & load the offending tables. Chances are it will work as this dump and load will take the data from the database as it is and will load it as it is without fiddling with special characters.

You can do this with the proutil dump / load utility online or offline. Since the binary load will deactivate the indexes on the loaded table you need to do an index rebuild for that table either with the load or afterwards.

HTH, RealHeavyDude.