How To Set Up Dr

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Dear All,

Anybody can help me to Setup DR step by step.

with regards
Mike
Mike, I hope you're read my message to you from last week. Please start by clearly explaining what it is you are trying to achieve, what you have done so far, where you have looked for answers.

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
It may be obvious but the OP has a history of vague questions and a lack of response to follow-ups, so it's best not to assume...

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Is not obvious? Disaster Recovery. lol
I think RHD's point is that it isn't obvious.

What it means to you may not be what it means to me. If I run Mon - Fri 9-5 with a 4-hour RPO and 24-hour RTO, whereas you run 24/7/365 with a 2-min RPO and 1-hour RTO, we have different needs and we should have different configurations and different DR plans.

There are other factors that matter too, like network topology, third-party integration, etc. Which parts of the production environment can you live without temporarily in a disaster? Which ones are essential? How will your clients connect to the DR DB(s)? Is the code and configuration replicated along with the data? Will authentication services still be available? There are dozens more questions you could ask that would determine the contents of a DR plan. For some organizations these questions don't apply or are overkill. For others, they matter.

Maybe the fact that the acronym "DR" stands for "Disaster Recovery" is obvious. But IMHO, what DR is isn't obvious.

RealHeavyDude

Exactly. Disaster Recovery starts with thoughtwork first.
  1. You need to assess what are the risks you are exposed to and how likely they are to come true.
  2. You need to determine your risk appetite - how much down time and data loss you can afford vs. budget to spend
When these constraints are set then you can design a Disaster Recovery strategy. Usually it comes down to an SLA ( service level agreement ) agreed on with stakeholders.
  • It might be based on utilizing an insanely expensive hardware infrastructure like reduandat data centers.
  • It might be based solely on software tools that you need to buy and cheap hardware like external USB drives.
  • It might be based on uttilities that come out-of-the-box with the technology ( Progress database license ) you've already purchased and no additional hardware at all.
  • It might be based in trust in God.
To be serious, there is no "magic" script which ensures that you are safe. A Disaster Recovery strategy must be based on your needs ar and must be well documented, tested, and - IMHO very important - executable by whoever might be in charge when disaster strikes.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.