How to run V10 programs from V9 Syteline

jcovept

We need to run V10 Progress programs from within V9 Syteline 5.02.10 on a custom menu. We've tried it as Progress and Windows (doesn't like the diff versions). We've used Operating System in the past to run VB exe.s. We tried to get it to run bat/cmd files but they seem to be ignored. Has anyone had luck running V10 programs from V9 Syteline using ANY means? Thanks!

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Do you have OE10 installed?

Can you successfully run the programs externally to Syteline?

If the answer to both of the above is "yes" then it is probably a matter of PATHing and environment variables.

jcovept

Hello Tom,
Thanks for replying to our post.
Yes, we have both V9 and OE10 installed and the very simple test program does run externally to Syteline. We'll try setting propath and other envir var's within the cmd/bat file, but it seems like Syteline isn't even attempting to run the cmd/bat file. We mod'd it to only do 'echo "in the bat file"' and 'sleep 5', but can't get that to run. We were expecting a dos window with the message. We'll try it some more and introduce the env var's. We're using "Operating System" as the Menu Action but have tried others. Perhaps we need to start fresh and be sure we've tried all combinations of menu action and commands. Thanks again for your help and please let us know if these new clues give you any more hints for us. Thanks, Jim

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
I don't know much about Syteline internals so I'm no help there but if you can't get a simple echo bat file to work then there isn't much hope that a Progress session will be properly started :( (I do know that Syteline db configurations are very improvable!)

Usually I would expect that you would want a menu (or whatever) to run a Progress procedure that then shells out to the os. Something like this:

Code:
/* test.p
 */

os-command value( "echo.bat" ).

return.

tecpeople

I agree with Tom.
Note, if you have multiple versions of Progress installed on the same server, you will NOT want to define the typical Progress envrionmental variables and you should let the symix.ini and/or your custom script define the DLC variable to indicate which version of Progress you would like utilize.

Jason-
www.tecpeople.net