Fixing sql length error in progress 4gl 10.2B

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike M

I'm trying to use the openedge jdbc connector to pull data from an existing progress db but im running into column width issues.

Here is the error that is holding me up.

[DataDirect][OpenEdge JDBC Driver][OpenEdge] Column TabDisplayName in table PUB.Menu has value exceeding its max length or precision.

I've looked at many posts, each offering different advice, and here's what I've given a go this far:

1. Manually modify the SQL width via the data dictionary.
    • I ran a quick check on PUB.Menu.TabDisplayName to find a max value of 44 Characters
    • Set the width to x(50) to no avail and then x(100) out of a fix of irrational rage, again with no luck.
  2. Use the SUBSTR() SQL Function to truncate the field -not optimum but better than nothing
    • I get weird results with this. It works fine in sqlexp but in a java environment its like the column is never selected.
  3. Use the dbtool to automatically fix width problems with option #2
    • After selecting all tables and "areas" (not sure what those are...) and submitting the final option I am returned to the proenv cmdline as if nothing ever happened.
  4. Modify the sql width programmatically via 4gl
    • This is the only option I found that I have yet to try.
    • I am a little reluctant to try this only because a manual modification failed. Also this is a live development environment(for me only) and Im trying to mess it up too terribly, although i am taking snaps regularly.

Running progress 10.2B on a unix machine.

Any comments and suggestions would be appreciated.

-Thanks

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.