First steps

tommyj77pl

Can anyone introduce me into webspeed, and show me example how to get anything out of progress db and display it in html.
If I create HTML with progres code how I could run it and connect to database? Where it should be placed?
what is HTMLAdapter? How can I use it?

Thanx in advance for your help

FrancoisL

There is no easy answer to this because WebSpeed need to be properly configured with a Web Server to be able to run sample programs . The best way to get started is to read the Progress Documentation : OpenEdge Getting Started : Webspeed Essentials. It will guide you step by step on how to setup your server , test it and write sample programs.

joey.jeremiah

ProgressTalk Moderator
Staff member
I would recommend -

First installing IIS, you'll find tons of instruction on the net (you'll need a Windows installation CD)

Architect or Studio or Workshop all come the Development Servers including a limited version of WebSpeed.

In the installation process select an IIS compatible messenger and set the Root Dir to C:\Inetpub (IIS installation dir, by default) and Scripts Dir to C:\Inetpub\Scripts, if I remember correctly.

Most likely they're already set by default.

You'll also need to config WebSpeed and Messenger in the Progress Explorer.

You'll probably want to skip using a NameServer and have the Messenger connect to WebSpeed directly. Check off connect using NameServer and enter the WebSpeed Host and Port number.

Then you can start messing around with Embedded SpeedScript files and later on with CGI wrappers.

For a good tutorial and overview of the server components, if you're not getting along with the Progress docs (like me) I would recommend Scott Auge's Kick *** WebSpeed.

http://amduus.com/4glwiki/index.php?pagename=Kick *** Webspeed

Overall it shouldn't be too hard to setup and start playing around with, keep us posted and we'll try walking you through it.

tommyj77pl

Hi,
Thank You for your answers... it is still not very clear for me :blush1: .
Why this is not as simply as php and MySQL. We are running progress on Linux with tomcat. Can I just copy html file with progress code to tomcat an then run it typing http://broker:port/myhtmlfile.html?

joey.jeremiah

ProgressTalk Moderator
Staff member
it really is very simple and you can embed code in an html file although it would need to be compiled first.

but it sounds to me that progress and the language are all very new to you ?

if that is the case and depending on the shops expertise, situation etc.

you might want to stick with php and use an odbc connection to a progress database.

tommyj77pl

Yes i am new with progress... :)
how can I compile html?

I have an example. I typed it in notepad:
<html><head></head><body>
<script language=”speedscript>display “Hello World!”</script>
</body></html>

What I need to do to see in the browser "Hello World".
We are using Progress 9.1 instaled on Linux server.

Thnax in advance for your help

joey.jeremiah

ProgressTalk Moderator
Staff member
do you have a web server installed ?

if so which one iis, apache etc. ?

maybe i should start with by asking if you have a webspeed license ?

if you do not and you do have a development license

the development package includes a limited version of webspeed, for development purposes.

tommyj77pl

We are running tomcat server. Company I work use MFG pro so I guess they have licence for web speed as well (?)...