Finding a batch process with 'ps'

JMoore

I'm using the 'ps' command on red hat linux to try to find any/all batch processes that I've started. IF I start the mbpro command when I'm logged on as 'root' I get the full command arguments in the ps command (such as..)
/usr/dlc/bin/_progres -b -p xxx.p

BUT, If I'm logged on as anyone else, I just see [_progres] in the ps command...Any ideas??

Corwin

More fun!

If you look at the mbpro shell script in your $DLC/bin dir you'll see (pardon me, my v8 is showing):

$ cat mbpro
#!/bin/sh
DLC=${DLC-/gpapp/dlc83b};export DLC
PROEXE=${PROEXE-$DLC/bin/_progres}
echo Batch processing will be performed using:
$DLC/version
echo
trap "" 1
$PROEXE -b "$@" 2>&1 &

so... look for that annoying "-b" option, or:::

ps -ef | grep "_progres -b" | grep -v grep

enjoy... and for more fun consider examing the tty setting...

This may be a function of ps as implemented in the O/S

On Solaris there is the default ps which comes from /usr/bin, but there is another implementation of ps from the BSD base in /usr/ucb

Two suggestions -
1. Try and see if there is another ps - on Solaris I tend to use /usr/ucb/ps auxww | grep .....

2. Pipe your existing ps through cat or more - don't laugh - I have had some wierd effects from this which seems to expand the lines - but that may be my terminal implementation! /usr/bin/ps -ef | more

Enjoy!

bendaluz2

I use ps -ef to get a full listing.

@toby.Harman -> I'm not laughing at your cat/more suggestion, I have seen similar odd behaviour :eek:

JMoore said:
I'm using the 'ps' command on red hat linux to try to find any/all batch processes that I've started. IF I start the mbpro command when I'm logged on as 'root' I get the full command arguments in the ps command (such as..)
/usr/dlc/bin/_progres -b -p xxx.p

BUT, If I'm logged on as anyone else, I just see [_progres] in the ps command...Any ideas??