Fill-in xx will not fit in frame in program

vinnalott

Hi, I'm very new to progress, and I'm just using the procedure editor to run some sql querys. But I have a question about running querys which will return n larger amount of data.

If I try to display a large table (for example "select * from customer"), I allways get the errormessage "FILL-IN xx will not fit in FRAME in PROGRAM. This will also appear if I try to do the same query but do an output to a file.

I've heard that I have to change the width of the frame (or the window?) but I can't seem to find out how.

Could anyone point me to a solution?

If you're in the Progress Procedure editor, key words will turn blue. You can highlight them and press F1 to get to the Help documentation.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
If you are in the progress procedure editor you should not be writing SQL.

You have not mentioned your Progress version nor the platform that you are running on. It's important. Especially where SQL is concerned.

None the less -- that "SQL" is SQL-89. It exists as a marketing check-box. You will only find pain and frustration if you attempt to use it for any serious purpose. This is true for all releases of Progress on all platforms. It will never get better. SQL-89 is deprecated -- no effort will ever go in to making it better or fixing anything about it.

If you are going to develop 4GL code do not waste any effort trying to force a SQL mindset. It won't work. You will end up broken and humiliated. You have been warned.

If you actually want and need to really use SQL do not use the procedure editor. Use an external SQL tool (there are gazillions of them) and make a proper SQL-92 connection to the database. Your DBA should know how to set this up for you. (The specifics depend on Progress version & OS...)

mrobles

This can help you, but pay special attention to the previous recommendation

CURRENT-WINDOW:WIDTH = 250.
SELECT * FROM customer WITH WIDTH 250.