Error reading socket, ret=0,errno=0.(778)

INEXIT

Users cannot log into Progress Opus-One. They are getting the error message above, and once this error is produced shortly after logging in, Progress quits, and the database service on the server stops and needs restarting?

We have tried restarting the database service, and also restarting the entire server ...

Any other ideas?

INEXIT

Thanks for this ... I have checked TCP/IP and Firewall settings and they are all ok (nothing has changed since yesterday either!). I just checked the event log, and found a couple of Application events that could be part of the issue? The errors are below:

Message from PROGRESS database e:\opus\data\live\hrms (5199)
SERVER : SYSTEM ERROR: Unable to extend database within area Schema Area. (8897)

Message from PROGRESS database e:\opus\data\live\hrms (5199)
SERVER : SYSTEM ERROR: Incomplete microtransaction. (2255)

Any ideas? Something to do with the database file size or the log file size?

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
What version of Progress?

It sounds like you have all of your data in the schema area and it has grown too large.

How large are the files that make up the db?

INEXIT

Version: Progress 9d (old I know!)

File sizes:
d1=2096960kb
d2=1024000kb
d3=64kb

Total: 3.45gb

Any idea on how to compact these databases or move the data around so the files are not so large? There is plenty of space left on the drive that they occupy.

Thanks!

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
You can add extents with the "prostrct" command. Ultimately you should move all data and indexes out of the schema area and into defined storage areas. To do that you should dump & load (technically you could use "proutil tablemove" but that is incredibly slow and consumes massive amounts of bi space). Determining how to configure storage areas is a bit complex for this thread but you can get some ideas here: Storage Optimization Strategies. Or you could hire a consultant to help you out ;)

3.45GB is nowhere near the size limit of a storage area -- something doesn't smell right.

I suggest that you post the actual DIR output and the structure file (dbname.st, if there isn't one then use "prostrct list dbname" to create one).

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
The variable extent is apparently at 64k.

Although I would very much like to see the true output of DIR rather than a summary thereof.