error 290 Please HELP!!!!

Farakh

I have a user on our network, (OS win98)who once in a while will get the following error:
System error: I/O error 22 in readit, ret-1, file 17, addr 0 (290)
After getting the error she gets kicked out of the DB
I have reinstalled progress, changed the hub in her office, reinstalled windows.
The DB are located on the server. Progress is locally installed on her computer. I am very frustrated........ Please help

bendaluz2

A couple of questions

is she always doing the same thing when the error occurs?
Is there enough disk space free in her temporary directory?

runnerbeans

IO errors

Further to my post a month or so back, we have found that this may be related to running ms outlook, via a "thick client" at the same time as running all other apps via the thin client.. We found that some users were running in this configuration, and stopping them access outlook via the local office install, and use it via thin client, dramatically reduced the occurrences of the I/O errors.

Although you are not using TS, it may be worth an outlook reinstal, if you have nothing else to go on. Also with win98 make sure you are on second edition, as there was a major bug in the first editions networking, and these I/O's could well be network related.

This makes little sense to me, but it does seem more than a coincidence... If anyone has any thoughts on this please reply!...

Farakh

I/o errors

We are not using thin clients in anyway to use progress. Everything is installed on the machine locally.

runnerbeans

I realise that you are running Progress locally, I just dropped in the fact that this error is mainly experienced on TS.

The recommendations i made were not for a thin client install, but a full win98 client.

Farakh

IO error

Plus, I have reinstalled win98 second edition on this machine and also MS Outlook 2002. I am kind of lost as to why this one user is only getting the error. I started to suspect network connection. As a result, I reterminated her network cable. That did not fix the problem either. I have reinstalled Progress a couple of times, still nothing. Even swapped out her computer and gave her a new computer!

Farakh

No one else uses that machine. It is reserved for that one user. Do you think it might be something in the user's profile or ini file?

Dan Dragut

Re: IO error

Originally posted by Farakh
Plus, I have reinstalled win98 second edition on this machine and also MS Outlook 2002. I am kind of lost as to why this one user is only getting the error. I started to suspect network connection. As a result, I reterminated her network cable. That did not fix the problem either. I have reinstalled Progress a couple of times, still nothing. Even swapped out her computer and gave her a new computer!

In all this trials you didn't swap the person :awink: I'm joking...
:)
You didn't say where the temporary files, .r programs and the result of the programs go, because I would blame the network card or the even the whole network segment. You could try to move the computer on another network segment or change the network card with one that surely works on that segment.

If that doesn't work, you surely have our simpaties, because I had a similar problem and almost drove me nuts :)

Farakh

I have given her a new computer with a new network card...
There is only one network that everyone is using. We do not have different segments for the network.

Dan Dragut

Then it must be something related to the configuration for that user... did you tried using another computer and the behaviour of another user? because the whole thing is kinda strange :)

Somebody asked where the r-code and temp files were - That may be your problem.

Also - just a suggestion - you say there is a Hub in here office - Could you maybe upgrade that to a switch? Have you got switches anywhere else in the office?