Question Details: HY000:[DataDirect][ODBC Progress OpenEdge Wire Protocol driver][OPENEDGE]Access denied (Aut

qadvietnam

Hi all,

I am using Progress 10.1C04
I create new DB from Sport2004 sample
Startup DB with -S - H portnumber
I install Crystal Report v9
I do create connect ODBC
And then I use Crystal Report connect to new DB above
It gets error msg

Crystal Reports

---------------------------

Failed to open a rowset.

Details: HY000:[DataDirect][ODBC Progress OpenEdge Wire Protocol driver][OPENEDGE]Access denied (Authorization failed) (7512)

Does anyone can help us?

QAD Vietnam

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
This error is telling you that the database user does not have the required privilege to access the table it was trying to read.

In an ABL client you can connect to a Progress database as a blank user and query tables without explicitly being given privilege to do so. In a SQL client, you can't. You have to create a SQL user and assign a password. Then another user that has sufficient privilege (i.e. a user that is a DBA or has the appropriate grant privileges) has to assign privileges to the user you created so it can do what it needs to do.

If a user is a DBA they have all privileges on all objects, at the database level. (These users and their privileges are stored in the sysdbauth table in the sysprogress schema.) This means they inherit those same privileges on newly-created objects. If a user is not a DBA their privileges are at the object level and they must be granted privileges individually on each object. (These users and their privileges are stored in the systabauth, syscolauth, and sysseqauth tables in the sysprogress schema.)

It is good practice not to grant users more privilege than they require. So if, for example, you are creating a user for Crystal Reports, you don't want that user to be a DBA. You just want them to have SELECT privilege on the tables. Depending on your data and your reporting needs, it might be all of the tables or only a subset.

Read through this KB article for more information:
Basic Guide to Defining Progress SQL-92 Database Permissions & Security

It will walk you through the process of creating and configuring a SQL user, and viewing and granting privileges.