[DataDirect][ODBC Progress OpenEdge Wire Protocol driver][OPENEDGE]

pandacoke

Where can I get my hostname, port number, database and user id? Hostname is refer to the progress or sql 2008? Port number can randomly assign? database by default is set to qaddb or it is the name during create the database? user id is refer to user id during db been create on progress db?odbc OE.jpg

I am new in QAD, hope someone can guide me on this.

1) Progress version, - OE10.2B
Service Pack - Patch 3
2) OS - Suse Linux with QAD2011EE, Window Server 2008 with BI 3.6
3) What you have tried - try to install and configure BI DWD
4) What errors you are receiving - during create ODBC Progress OE wire Protocol Driver setup, i got error message 'connection refused'. and i not sure where should i get for the port no, database name and user id.

RealHeavyDude

You might get better answers in the QAD forum as I am totally oblivious to QAD products ...

You need to contact whoever is the database administrator for that database in order to get the information you require. Furthermore you need to be aware that probably the SQL access ins not properly configured as it is not out-of-the-box with a Progress database. Therefore it might be necessary for the database administrator to set it up properly before you can use it.

• The port number is defined at startup of the database broker. Usually it's either supplied on the command line or in a parameter file. As long as the database broker is running that port can't change.
  • The database name is its physical name which is the name of the .db file without the extension .db and any path.
  • The user name and the necessary access privileges must be configured and granted on the SQL engine.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

pandacoke

You might get better answers in the QAD forum as I am totally oblivious to QAD products ...

You need to contact whoever is the database administrator for that database in order to get the information you require. Furthermore you need to be aware that probably the SQL access ins not properly configured as it is not out-of-the-box with a Progress database. Therefore it might be necessary for the database administrator to set it up properly before you can use it.

• The port number is defined at startup of the database broker. Usually it's either supplied on the command line or in a parameter file. As long as the database broker is running that port can't change.
  • The database name is its physical name which is the name of the .db file without the extension .db and any path.
  • The user name and the necessary access privileges must be configured and granted on the SQL engine.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

thanks for your reply, but i have some doubt.
'The database name is its physical name which is the name of the .db file without the extension .db and any path'
the dataabase is refer to sql db or progress db?

'The user name and the necessary access privileges must be configured and granted on the SQL engine.'
the user name was the user create progress db? AND the username should be configured and granted on SQL?

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
The hostname is the name of the machine where the database resides.
The port is the TCP port on the server machine on which the Progress SQL broker listens for client connections.
The user doesn't have to be the user that created the DB. It could be, as this user is a de facto DBA. It just needs to be a user that has the required database and/or table permissions you require to do what your client needs to do.

Refer to this article: Basic Guide to Defining Progress SQL-92 Database Permissions & Security

You may also want to look in the documentation for the concept of "Transaction Isolation" (see the Advanced tab in the dialog in your screenshot above).