Custom web-util.p

GregTomkins

I have a requirement to change the wording of the WebSpeed message 'Unable to find web object file foo.p'. This comes from web-util.p, so, I believe I need to make a slightly customized version of this file.

The trick is, I really don't want to meddle with the Progress-supplied version which resides in /usr/dlc. I would rather override it with a web-util.p that lives in our proprietary code directory.

From looking around it seems like placing a web-util.r in the PROPATH ahead of /usr/dlc/tty/web/objects should work, but it's not working ....

This is a bit tricky to figure out given that web-util.r is actually run from webstart.p, the source code of which is not supplied, so I don't know exactly how it's referencing it.

I was wondering if I could do something along the lines of an SUPER procedure override, but I'm not very familiar with how that works. Stefan ... ?

Bottom line, I want my own version of web-util.r to run in place of the Progress one, and I want to achieve this without touching the Progress install (which is basically impossible in our environment).

Any advice appreciated.

Stefan

No idea of the internals of webutil/webstart.p either. I expect that it is setting the sharedweb-utilities-hdl to point to the web-utils.p it has loaded. I would expect the load of web-utils.p to simply respect the propath. You will need to restart your WebSpeed agent to see any effect since this is only done upon startup of the agent.

If you want to reverse engineer this further, set the logging entry types on your webpseed agent to 4GLtrace (and optionally increase the level of verbosity). It should tell you what is being run.

There is also a way of customizing WebSpeed error messages out of the box - this should be in the manual - I've never used it.