Create db level userid and password to access to connect to Progress DB through ODBC.

umair

Hi,

I am newbie to progress & trying to push data from Progress, Can any one advise me about the following query.

How to Create db level userid and password to access to connect to Progress DB through ODBC.

Re: Create db level userid and password to access to connect to Progress DB through O

add sysprogress user with password sysprogress for example
and connect with it.

RealHeavyDude

Re: Create db level userid and password to access to connect to Progress DB through O

You do not tell as anything 'bout the Progress/OpenEdge version you are using.

In general: The SQL engine of the database does not work out-of-the-box since it's not the natural interface to talk to a Progress database. Plus, the 4GL engine follows a revoke philosophy whereas the SQL engine follows a grant philosophy. That means, you don't grant it, you can't access it.

There are two users which can be used to initially connect to the database via the SQL engine to grant anything:

1. The OS user account under which the database was created. This account has DBA privileges per default as this account is considered to be the owner of the database. If you know this credentials you can use them.
  2. The user SYSPROGRESS. This is the one and only account that can be created via the 4GL engines and has any right on the SQL engine. In this special case the user SYSPRROGRESS automatically has DBA privileges.
If you know the credentials of the OS account than you can use just that otherwise you need to create the SYSPROGRESS user via the data administration and give it a password of your choice.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

umair

Hi,

Can you provide me any notes/documentation about it please.

Thanks in addvance.

umair

Hi,

Thanks for your info. One of the progress geek has provided me an administrator user but without any password & via ODBC i can establish a successful conneciton without administrator password which is null but in oracle i do need to provide a password for ODBC/PROGRESS , any idea how to overcome this.

Im using the following

Progress OpenEdge 10.1B Driver

Thanks

From my records Oracle to progress connection:

1. Modify network\admin\tnsnames.ora - add new source
Progress =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = localhost)(PORT = 1521))
)
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SID = Progress)
)
(HS = OK)
)
2. Specify connection network\admin\listener.ora
SID_LIST_LISTENER =
(SID_DESC =
(PROGRAM = hsodbc)
(SID_NAME = Progress)
(ORACLE_HOME = C:\oracle\bise1\db)
)
3. odbc parameters file hs\admin\initProgress.ora
HS_FDS_CONNECT_INFO = Progress
HS_FDS_TRACE_LEVEL = 1

I think user/pass should be added in last file. I dunno how.