Question Contains?

Hello :) another basic question..
I am new here guys..

I just want to know how to use contains here. I've already user EQ,Begins,LE,GE,NE and other operators except contains.

I got this error saying 'Contains allowed only for word indexed(3398)' something like that.

For example:
Searching 'Carlo H. Francisco' in table info and in fieldname Name

For each info where Name contains 'Fran'
disp name with width 250.

Is this gonna work? :)

Thanks guys

RealHeavyDude

As the error message states contains supports only fields that are word-indexed. You need to create a word-index on the field if you want to work with contains. Furthermore you need to take your database and client code pages into account. Not every code page / character set has the word breaks defined - most prominently UTF-8. If that is the case this KB can get you started: Progress KB - Creating a Word-Break File for International Collation

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

TheMadDBA

Contains is a word search, most commonly used to find words in chunks of text.

Matches is similar to a SQL "like" (where name contains '*Fran*') but no index can be used to resolve the query.

Begins is an index friendly way to find character fields that begin with a certain string (where name begins "Carl").

Not to discourage you from asking questions while you are learning... but the ABL Essentials documentation is pretty decent in explaining some of the core concepts

https://community.progress.com/comm....openedge-product-documentation-overview.aspx

Thanks Everyone. Yeah I'd created an index for a particular field. Now my problem is how to delete this index. I can't delete it.

I am using the proutil command (proutil <dbname> -C idxfix) for category 6. Still receiving error [5188].

TheMadDBA

That isn't the way to delete an index. I really suggest you read the documentation a little to get a jump start.

You delete the index through the data dictionary.