Connecting to Progress 9.1d database from MS SQL Server 2000

Raj2004

Hello there,

I am trying to connect to a Progress 9.1d database to download some data in to a MS SQL Server 2000 database. I have tried installing DataDirect Technologies "DataDirect Connect for ODBC" driver, which did not work for some reason. Then, I tried using the "Merant 3.60 32-bit Progress SQL 92 V9.1d" driver to create a Data source - this had errors too.

Can someone out there who have a proven technique for doing this, please Help me!.. - I am very pressed for time.

Appreciate your help.

Raj

dcheatham

Raj,

First Setup the DB with access for Both SQL and 4GL. Determine the port communicating to the DB. Verify you have a sysprogress login or other SQL logins to the DB. There are support docs at Progress's site to help with this. Setup the client to connect the the DB on the port defined above with the proper login.

Raj2004

Thanks dcheatham for the reply. Here is what we have done.

What we have done:
1. Installed Progress SQL 92 client access V9.1D on (Merant 3.60 32-bit Progress SQL 92 V9.1D) a laptop to connect to Progress 9.1D database on the server.

when we try to create a DSN on the laptop using the Merant driver to connect to the database on the server we get the following error message.

"[DataDirect Technologies][ODBC PROGRESS driver] Invalid attrbute in connection string: Description. [DataDirect Technologies][ODBC PROGRESS driver][PROGRESS] Error in network Daemon"

We are using the Administrator account to setup the client connection. The Progress Database service is also run with the same account.

Any thoughts!

thanks
Raj

dcheatham

It sounds like the dbbroker is not set for sql connections. This has to be done on the server side. Make sure you have your minservers and maxservers assigned correctly for the connections as well. I have normally seen the error in network daemon when the port connecting to did not have sql support. Try to connect from the server before you connect remote. You should be able to run the following command at the server console or telnet. I assume you are running on some sort of unix system.

Set the DLC environment.
sqlexp -char -H hostname -S portnumber -db dbname -user sysprogress -password 123

The sysprogress 123 is the default user and password if you have no sql logins. I run this command when I do db maintenance to confirm the sql connectivity was not affected. I don't know how to attach doc's on this forum. Have you modified your java_env to support the sql options for Progress?

Thanks,
David

onemark

Maybe you specified the wrong portnumber when you add the new odbc connection.
Ensure you start the database with a portnumber en make sure you fill out this number in your odbc connection. When i got this error "error in network deamon" wether the database was not running or i specified the wrong portnumber. I migreded several progress databases to sql server database en it works fine.
But as far as i know you can only migrate a progress database to a sql server database when the data is inserted with de sql engine.

chris.wakefield

Step by Step Instructions:

Install the Progress Client Networking.
Reboot.
Install the DataDirect Drivers.
Open the System->Environment Variables.
Add to the front of the PATH system variable "C:\Progress\Bin" or where you installed Progress to.
Remember that you need a ; between each part of the PATH variable.

It should end up looking something like this:
C:\Program Files\Progress\bin;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\system32\WBEM;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\BINN;C:\Program Files\DataDirect\ODBC32v50\Drivers

xdave

dlls

i feel you on this. it took me a month to make this work. make sure you have all the dlls that you need. the easiest way to do it is to install progress on the client as well. if that is not an option then I think one of the two dlls is called procli92.dll.

Kopperton

Can someone guide me to connecting MS SQL 7.0 Server to Progress 9.1b (unix) to download caertain tables (from Progress to MS Sql) daily for datawahouse server and then publish/report them via Brio?

Any paper guide for that?
thanks

malikyte

Connecting through MS Access

I have had a similar problem attempting to connect Microsoft Access to a database within our Progress server using an ODBC Connection which we have established as working through a test - and we can see the tables and the definitions within Access.

However, we were unable to actually access the table - we received an error whenever we tried to view the table data directly. We originally believed it was a permission or ODBC error (as we just got the ODBC connection to work after purchasing seats and upgrading the drivers...bad new drivers). However, after running through the GUI tools on the server-side of things, all users have complete permissions.

...could the problem be schema based, even if all users have complete permissions? Has anyone run across any similar problems such as this?

Progress v9.1D
SQL-89

unknown

Hello knarf,
I am also using OpenLink,(http://www.openlinksw.com/download/http://www.openlink.com
I could manage to install ODBC drivers on SQL 2000 server ( in this case it is a client)
I could manage to configure Progress91C DB as a linked server using MS Enterprise Manager (http://uda.openlinksw.com/?doc=/Article/odbclinkedserver),
I can (using the same MS Enterprise Manager) display all tables
But when I am trying to make simple view (the query looks like: SELECT * FROM OPENQUERY(linkedserver, 'Select ID from tbltable).) I am getting following error:
ODBC error:

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]The operation could not be performed because the OLE DB provider 'MSDASQL' was unable to begin a distributed transaction.
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]OLE DB error trace[OLE/DB Provider 'MSDASQL' ITransactionJoiITransactionJoin returned 0x8004d00a].

When I am using Query Analyzer I can run the above mentioned query without any problems.

On MS KB I have found similar problem, describing Oracle connectivity with following
results:
How to set up and troubleshoot a linked server to Oracle in SQL Server (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;280106)
But my knowledge on ODBC providers is not enough to retargeted this Oracle specified solution into a Progress one.

I would appreciate any help.

Best Regards,
unknown

DennisM

malikyte said:
I have had a similar problem attempting to connect Microsoft Access to a database within our Progress server using an ODBC Connection which we have established as working through a test - and we can see the tables and the definitions within Access.

However, we were unable to actually access the table - we received an error whenever we tried to view the table data directly. We originally believed it was a permission or ODBC error (as we just got the ODBC connection to work after purchasing seats and upgrading the drivers...bad new drivers). However, after running through the GUI tools on the server-side of things, all users have complete permissions.

...could the problem be schema based, even if all users have complete permissions? Has anyone run across any similar problems such as this?

Progress v9.1D
SQL-89
I'm a Progress newbie so please excuse if this is redundant or a given.

How are you granting permissions? It doesn't sound like you're doing it from a client. This works for me (from SQL Explorer):

grant select on pub.tablename to username;
commit;

You can grant other rights besides select. Pub needs to be there. The 'commit;' is important. It means that the user will still have the rights you grant on their next login.

You can see who has what rights from SQL explorer by entering
select * from sysprogress.sysdbauth;

Also, I'm using the SQL-92 ODBC driver against a 9.1d db.

jverhoek

[DataDirect Technologies][ODBC PROGRESS driver][PROGRESS] Error in network Daemon

A possible solution is in the services-file
%SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc\services

the last rule added must be entered otherwise it doesn't read the last rule and you receive the error

[DataDirect Technologies][ODBC PROGRESS driver][PROGRESS] Error in network Daemon