Cannot confirm connection Progress and SQL 2005

cmt.it.steve

Hi,

I have two servers under development that I am currently using to setup our (future) environment. Currently our live server has Epicor Vista, OpenEdge 10.1B, and SQL Server Standard x64 edition running on Server 2003 Enterprise x64. Our goal was to detach the SQL Server and make it a completely independent server. The two servers under development will both run Server 2008 R2 Enterprise. One server will have Epicor Vista and OpenEdge 10.1B installed and the other will have SQL Server 2005 installed.

Currently, I have everything installed and I can remotely access (or ping) the SQL Server from the other host machine, however, when I try to run the Vista software, it gives me an error message

"Could not connect to the AppServer: Connection could not be made because the target machine actively refused it. xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8301 (7203). "

I'm led to believe that this means I could not connect to OpenEdge and the specific AppServer but I have no way to verify this. I imagine that I have one of two, problems. Either I cannot connect to OpenEdge or OpenEdge cannot connect to SQL, or worse case, it could be both.

Is there a way to verify if OpenEdge is correctly configured to communicate with SQL? This would at least give me one answer which then I could work on the other end but having both ambiguities, it is quite frustrating.

Thank you.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Re: Hello, thank you rather considerably!

"actively refused" usually means that your firewall rejected the connection.

cmt.it.steve

I currently have the firewall on both machines completely turned off (Domain, private, and public - although it would make sense that only the Domain firewall be turned off). I have also enabled all the inbound and outbound rules to makes sure everything is completely open so that a connection could be made.

Is there another place I should look concerning the firewall?

Also, the static port that I am using on the SQL Server is 1433 however, I cannot find a place in OpenEdge 10.1b or in any configuration files that allow me to assign that port so that OpenEdge will communicate with SQL Server. Is there a configuration file that allows me to assign a specific static port to communicate through or does the MSS Database look for it automatically?