Can we have a 'report spam/abuse' button?

There's an increased amount of spam appearing in the forum.

Is it possible a 'report abuse' button associated with a post will help the administrator find and remove it more quickly?

It's not exactly a big deal, just an irritation that either I have to read the damn things, or jump up a level and mark the category as read.

Or is there something I can turn on in my settings?

joey.jeremiah

ProgressTalk Moderator
Staff member
it's probably a sign the forum is getting very popular :)

i don't know if it's something chris would be interested in, but how about letting some people share some of the work running the forum ?

kind of a nice additional way to chip in and also to get people more involved and feel apart of this place ... just an idea

Chris Kelleher

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry about that. Unfortunately this board is becoming very attractive to spammers because of the amount of traffic we are getting. I try to remove spam posts as soon as I see them, but I'm not always here at nights or during the weekends, so some might take me a bit longer to get to.

There is a way to report spam posts to me already: there is a "Report Post" icon at the top right of each post which looks like this

report.gif

Hope this helps.

Chris Kelleher

Administrator
Staff member
Joey,

That might be a good idea as well, I would be happy to have some moderators that can help out with things like this when I'm offline.

If anyone is interested, feel free to send me a private message or email.

Thanks!

There is a way to report spam posts to me already: there is a "Report Post" icon at the top right of each post which looks like this

report.gif

Hope this helps.

Sorry, I didn't realise - I looked around, but missed that one.

Thanks for responding quickly.

oldemanw

Hi Chris,
I just received a private message from "Jeanette" which I would classify as spam. Unfortunately there is no "Report Post" button for private messages, so forgive me for posting here ;-)

Rgds,
Willem

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Are there more people having this problem with Jeanette?
Could you post the message message here?

Unfortunately there is no way to report private messages as spam. (probably because the are supposed to be private ;-).
So Chris, if you're reading this: If it is possible to mark private messages as spam then that would be great!

Regards,

Casper.

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Let me rephrase this: could you forward the messgae to me (otherwise you would be spamming as well, I suppose :awink:).

Casper

Chris Kelleher

Administrator
Staff member
Willem,

Thank you for reporting this spam, I've taken care of it. There is no report a PM as spam feature, but if you forward the PM to me I will take care of it as soon as possible.

Thanks,
Chris

xensys

I haven't received any spam messages here, but I have seen spammers take over other Progress forums to the point that it looks like relevant members have stopped posting or even using the forum.

I'm glad to see action being taken here!

Ian (xensys)

I have seen spammers take over other Progress forums to the point that it looks like relevant members have stopped posting or even using the forum.

On one particular well-regarded forum, a recent major increase in spam followed persistent requests for financial support, and I wondered if the forum admin had just given up in frustration at the lack of response, or was trying to say "this is what happens when nobody mans the turrets".

If you read that forum through a good email client (eg. gmail), the spam is almost negligible, presumably through the client's own filtering facilities.

One intriguing point is the spambots are overcoming the 'no fancy fonts' rules of the forum with ease.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
If you are referring to PEG, it is nearly certain that none of the spam actually came from PEG, but rather that it had spoofed headers. This comes up periodically ... today, for example ... and it is really just the one person who is getting the spam, not the community.

This comes up periodically ... today, for example ... and it is really just the one person who is getting the spam, not the community.

Although few subscribers may be receiving it through email, the spam is obvious and offputting to anyone who accesses the Peg primarily through the web interface.

I've been reading the Peg for years, and don't remember a deluge of spam on the webpage like that seen recently.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Greg has reported that there was a problem recently where spam posts were not getting filtered going to the web page, but were filtered going to the list. List subscribers never saw any of that spam. Never do.