Basic Knowledge

Muthaiya

Can any one help me in understanding the below differences?
am a beginner for this erp.

whether QAD is a software? or its a name of the product.
I am working on is ERP now. i want to know what is the product name in. Whether MFG/PRo is the product name and i want to know the version of this product.

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Have you not got someone you work with who can answer? Or how about Google? QAD is the name of the company, MFG Pro is one of their products.

Muthaiya

Have you not got someone you work with who can answer? Or how about Google? QAD is the name of the company, MFG Pro is one of their products.

thanks for the reply....

This MFG/pro uses progress coding for its design right and there is any difference between progress open edge and progress (3gl,4gl) versions.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
To be more complete. Progress is a company which produces tools for writing applications. This includes a database and a fourth generation language which used to be just called the Progress 4GL, but was rebranded in version 10 as ABL, Advanced Business Language. Progress sells its tools direct to end-user customers, but also has a couple thousand ISVs who use those tools to write applications which they then sell to end-user customers. One of those ISVs is QAD and their principle product is MFG/Pro, an ERP and Manufacturing application. ABL is remarkable among programming languages for upward compatibility, meaning that a version 2.1 program from 1984 will run in most cases on the latest 11.6 release (exceptions being things like new reserved key words and such, but there is even a mechanism for ignoring those). Which said, the language has evolved and extended incredibly over that time so that a well written 11.6 program which really uses lots of new features would seem like a different language than a version 9 program, not to mention version 2. Among those additions has been the adding OO features to the language.

Muthaiya

@Cringer - Thanks for ur answer.

@tamhas - incredible!! u have answered to my next question to know about ABL :). Because am confused about naming conventions but ur respond was clear cut. thankss

Muthaiya

I am quite interested about knowing the architecture how this MFG/PRO uses progress codes in character version. Hope this being the oldest version but still its alive. :)

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Why are you unable to access it? Any errors? What browser? Works fine for me in Chrome...

Muthaiya

I am new to MFG/PRO and progress. I need some documents related to progress coding from which i can get to know some thing out of box and get to know new things about progress code.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
One can always start with the documentation ...

Some people recommend learning from the code, but given that you are working with MFG/Pro, I wouldn't recommend that.