Access OpenEdge Data

sacha

Hello,

I m a medical student and a C++/python developpers too. I don't know very much about progress. At my work, I m using a really ugly software based on ?openEdge?. I wonder if it's possible to get data outside the main application. There are some tool in my windows menu like : Progress Explorer Tool, 4GL batch engine ....
My Goal is to get data by any way with my user account. Is it possible ?

Thanks for your reply

RealHeavyDude

The Progress OpenEdge database has two databases engines - 4GL and SQL. 4GL is the native and preferred interface. In order to be able to execute your own queries written in ABL ( which was re-branded from 4GL to ABL come OpenEdge 10 ) you need to have a developer licence. You should have a "License Info" icon in your Windows menu. It will tell you which licenses you have installed along with the version you are running.

I order to access your the database via the SQL engine you need to use the ODBC/JDBC driver that comes with every run time installation. Plus, you need to set up the SQL access on the database as it is usually not setup out-of-the-box. Most prominently you need to take care of the SQL-92 security. In which case this guide might help you:

http://knowledgebase.progress.com/articles/Article/20143/p

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.