102B ODBC connection Problem

shank_Blr

I am trying to create an ODBC connection for my 102B progress Database to use the same in Microsoft Excel.
I am unable to create a ODBC connection as system throws the error “[DataDirect][ODBC Progress OpenEdge Wire Protocol driver] Connection refused. Verify Host Name and Port Number. [DataDirect][ODBC Progress OpenEdge Wire Protocol driver] Unexpected Network Error. ErrNum = 10038”
Can any one help me please? I tried with 91E DB that works fine.

RealHeavyDude

IMHO, the error message you get tells everything. The host name and service (port number) you've specified in your ODBC data source does not correspond with the host name and port number on which the database is running you are trying to connect to. Just because it did work with 9.1E does not necessarily mean that the configuration is correct for 10.2B.

How do you start the database?
Do you use a script - what's in your script?
Do you use the AdminServer - how is the database defined in the AdminServer?
Did you set up SQL92 security in the OpenEdge database?
Did you define a dedicated secondary login broker for the SQL92 clients?

Regards, RealHeavyDude.

nicolas

You give a little more help.
I have OpenEdge studio 10.1c on a pc, is to local development.

The connection to the local database is from the data dictionary.
I have no startup script, the installation is by default.

thanks

RealHeavyDude

You must start a database server in order to be able to connect via ODBC to it in the first place. Connecting to the database via the data dictionary tools does not start a server against the database. It just allows you to connect to the database. When there is no server started you can connect single user, but only with an ABL ( or 4GL client as it was called pre-OE10 ) client. The concept of connecting single-user is specific to ABL, not available with SQL.

That's why I did ask you how you do start the database.

Whatever you do in an ABL client ( which includes the developer tools like OpenEdge Studio ) is not SQL and does not - nor can it - use an ODBC connection.

So, how do you start your local database?

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

nicolas

thanks for your help and your time.

I have only studio version of OpenEdge 10.1C SP3.

The OpenEdge have some form after starting the local server database to progress? I know the truth.

If there is a manual or some kind of help I should investigate to configure it, I would greatly appreciate.

The way we work is connected to a server database configured on the intranet progress. but requires local development to further the work without having to connect to the intranet.

How to connect to the intranet to the database is a preconfigured script.

RealHeavyDude

The OpenEdge Studio license is a bundle that not only includes the right to compile source code - it also includes the right to start a local database servers, AppServers and WebSpeed Brokers. The only limitation these serves have is that you can only connect to them from the localhost.

You say that you use a remote database plus a local one for development:
To which of these databases do you want to connect via ODBC?

nicolas

I want to connect via ODBC to a local database.

To work locally.

I am working with the following characteristics:
- PHP
- Apache
- Connector OpenEdge ODBC Drivers (ODBC SQL 10.1C)
- Windows XP Professional
- 10.1C OpenEdge Studio

Since I have a local database (basedatos.db) to which I connect as follows:
1 - Start the Data Administration
2 - go to Database Menu
3 - go to SubMenu Connection

Seeking the database and I connect. I do not provide anything else, did not indicate hostname, service name, user ID or password, etc..

RealHeavyDude

For the record:

You need to start a server against your local database to connect via ODBC - it does not matter what you do in the data administration - the Progress tools don't use an OCBC connection. Full stop.

Is it that you don't know how to start the database?

nicolas

So it is.

Do not know how to start the database server of progress, just as OpenEdge Studio know if that server is

RealHeavyDude

Then I would recommend you to read the Database Administration guide in the Data Management section of the PDF documentation that comes with the product. It contains information you will find useful to understand what it takes to start a database and the various options you have.

For an easy start you could try proserve <path-to-your-database> -S <ip-port/service>.

nicolas

Thanks

Honestly I had no idea that the database server is not
configured by default with the OpenEdge Studio.

I thought that installing the studio OpenEdge database server was started and it was only set up the ODBC.

And download the manual and now I have no idea that view.

Thanks for your time and help.

RealHeavyDude

You can setup a database with almost any OpenEdge license/product. But using a development license like OpenEdge Studio just includes the right to start a server against a local database. Neither does using the development environment configure a database nor does it start a server against any database. It is completely up to you how you configure and use it. This gives you every freedom but you need to know the gory details on how to make use of your freedom. That is one of the core philosophies of Progress - you may hate it for that but most people I know love it for exactly that.