10.2A Driver to connect to 10.1C databases

AbdelBorowsky

Hi !

I try to connect to a Linux server where there are Progress databases on it. On this server, it's OpenEdge 10.1C which is installed.

I try to connect to this server from Windows with Progress Driver 10.2A. I tried with ODBC and JDBC but both give the same error : OE Broker rejects the connection.

I would like to know if it's possible to connect from Windows with 10.2A driver to a Linux server which is with OpenEdge 10.1C ?
If yes, where do this error can from ?

Thanks for you reply ! ;)

mollyfud

In theory should work. Can you connect to the SQL engine from SQLExplorer on linux?
There is solution P137502 that talks about a bug fixed in 10.1C03. You should try that.
On a slight side note, why 10.2A on windows? WHy not 10.1C? Not saying it would make a difference, just interested.
HTH

AbdelBorowsky

Thanks for your answer.

I have 10.2A on Windows cause the company where I'm working has only buy the Linux server side to Progress. We don't have the client side on Windows (with the AppBuilder...) with 10.1C version but with 10.0B. So I don't know how to have 10.1C drivers...

I tried to go on the Progress Download Center and I couldn't download drivers. But I could download the SQL Client Tool. And on the SQL Client Tool, there are drivers to connect to databases.

So I tried to download this tool but when I have installed it, I saw that it wasn't 10.1C drivers but 10.2A drivers...

It's why i have on one side 10.1C and on the other side 10.2A. :D

I don't know if I am very clear cause my english level is not very high... :lol:

rstanciu

did you try the sqlexp utility ?
Take a proenv console and try
sqlexp -db [database] -S [service/port] -H [host]
If the sqlexp works, the JDBC/ODBC driver have to works too.

rstanciu

on the linux machine check if there are a firewall who reject the connection, as root:

$: iptables -L

if yes, controle the firewall, and start you Progress Database server with the parameters
-minport -maxport

AbdelBorowsky

I tried with a proenv console and i have the same error :

[27/07/09 14:38:28] [3] [SQLExplorer] Le fichier local C:\Progress\OpenEdge\bin\SQLExplorer.properties va être utilisé. (SQLMsg036)
[27/07/09 14:38:28] [3] [SQLExplorer] Setting Connect to jdbc:datadirect:eek:penedge://XX.XXX.XX.XXX:49162;databaseName=gfsl
[27/07/09 14:38:28] [3] [SQLExplorer] === SQLExplorer starting. ===
[27/07/09 14:38:28] [3] [SQLExplorer] ### ARGS: -db gfsl -S 49162 -H XX.XXX.XX.XXX -user XXX -password xxx
[27/07/09 14:38:28] [3] [SQLExplorer] Connecting user "XXX" to URL "jdbc:datadirect:eek:penedge://XX.XXX.XXX.XXX:49162;databaseName=gfsl"... (8920)
[27/07/09 14:38:28] [3] [SQLExplorer] Loading JDBC driver com.ddtek.jdbc.openedge.OpenEdgeDriver.
[27/07/09 14:38:28] [0] [*UnexpectedError*] * recorded as exception #7 in file C:\Progress\OpenEdge\bin\SQLExplorer.exceptions.
[27/07/09 14:38:28] [3] [SQLExplorer] === SQLExplorer ending. ===

And in the SQLExplorer.exceptions file :

Exception at Mon Jul 27 14:38:28 CEST 2009: java.sql.SQLException
Message (throw): ### Connect stack trace. ###
Message (excp): [DataDirect][OpenEdge JDBC Driver]OE Broker rejects the connection.
Stack Trace:
java.sql.SQLException: [DataDirect][OpenEdge JDBC Driver]OE Broker rejects the connection.
at com.ddtek.jdbc.base.BaseExceptions.createException(Unknown Source)
at com.ddtek.jdbc.base.BaseExceptions.getException(Unknown Source)
at com.ddtek.jdbc.openedge.client.OpenEdgeClientLoginRequest.preOpenConnection(Unknown Source)
at com.ddtek.jdbc.openedge.client.OpenEdgeClientLoginRequest.preSubmitRequest(Unknown Source)
at com.ddtek.jdbc.openedge.OpenEdgeImplConnection.open(Unknown Source)
at com.ddtek.jdbc.base.BaseConnection.connect(Unknown Source)
at com.ddtek.jdbc.base.BaseConnection.setupImplConnection(Unknown Source)
at com.ddtek.jdbc.base.BaseConnection.open(Unknown Source)
at com.ddtek.jdbc.base.BaseDriver.connect(Unknown Source)
at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:525)
at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:171)
at com.progress.sql.explorer.SQLConnectServer.call(SQLConnectServer.java:37)
at com.progress.common.rmiregistry.TryIt.run(TryIt.java:186)

rstanciu

on the linux machine check the firewall configuration and
just to be shure that the SQL engine works proper ...
try a ldd $DLC/bin/_sqlsrv2
also try the sqlexp command on the linux box

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Did you set up a secondary SQL broker? Anything in the database logfile?
It seems like there is no free _sqlsrv2 proces to connect to.
Can you try to make a local connection to the database? I suspect you get the same error then..

Regards,
Casper.

mollyfud

Yeah would want to see a DB .lg file to see what was going on in there. If it doesn't work from the local machine that suggests the 10.2A isn't the issue here (or at least not yet).

david_derudder

Hi,

I think I might have a similar problem. Trouble is, I'm completely new to this, even my experience with Linux is quite limited. My colleagues (who set this up) are on holiday for more than a week, and the ODBC connection is not getting up.

I'm connecting from a Windows machine where we got OpenEdge Progress ODBC 10.2.B driver installed.

This is the Linux server where the DB is on:

[root@LNX-DB2 15-02-22]# sh /u2/progress/start
OpenEdge Release 10.1C as of Sat Feb 9 14:16:03 EST 2008
10:55:27 BROKER 0: Multi-user session begin. (333)
10:55:27 BROKER 0: Begin Physical Redo Phase at 2816 . (5326)
10:55:28 BROKER 0: Physical Redo Phase Completed at blk 2897 off 7912 upd 431. (7161)
10:55:28 BROKER 0: At end of Physical redo, transaction table size is 256. (13547)
10:55:29 BROKER 0: Started for 6600 using tcp IPV4 address 0.0.0.0, pid 3322. (5644)
OpenEdge Release 10.1C as of Sat Feb 9 14:16:03 EST 2008
10:55:30 BROKER 1: Started for 4501 using tcp IPV4 address 0.0.0.0, pid 3334. (5644)
10:55:30 BROKER 1: This is an additional broker for this protocol. (5645)
10:55:30 BROKER 1: This broker supports SQL server groups only. (8864)

The reason why I have 2 different versions is: we got this installation live at our factory, but we want to have a backup DB on our system aswell. So we create a copy each week and mount it here so we can access it too. Now, I want to use an ODBC connection to get some data from there so I can create reports locally instead of (virtually) going to the other side of the world. Our supplier gave me this driver version together with SP8.

The funny thing though, we have an active software program that is accessing this DB without a problem, so I'm sure it is working. I just can't figure out how this ODBC driver isn't working.

When I stop and start the SQLExplorer, it works without hiccups. I don't get any exceptions added to the files.
I'm connecting through the 4501 port, which is open (I can telnet on that port even) but still rejecting my connection.

Any of you guys prepared to help me solve this case? Because it's really doing my head in, looking at it myself (I have never done anything with Progress, ever).